Friday, July 22, 2011

Lobsta Sandwich



OK, 3rd seafood post in a row.  But it's summer and it's HOT and I want light and fresh and that = seafood. So I figured I might as well complete the trifecto.

Lobster rolls are a quintessential part of New England summers.  They have always been, and will always be, one of my top ten favorite foods of all time.  So great that I made appetizer sized rolls for both Christmas celebrations this year.  They're something I identify as home and will always link with my father, who has been known to drive all the way to Maine, just for the day, just to have a real lobster roll.

And while the classic is great, especially when made with homemade mayo and homemade split-top rolls, sometimes I actually prefer a version sometimes referred to as a Connecticut style lobster roll.  Instead of cold lobster salad, here the succulent meat is heated briefly in butter.  To me this speaks even more to the simple pleasure of letting lobster be the main flavor.  I mixed some scallions into mine, although chives would be better and no herbs at all would still be sublime.  One of my favorite breads stands in place of the traditional split top bun.  I know they say you shouldn't mess with the classics, but when its lobster, its virtually impossible to screw it up!

Warm "Connecticut-Style" Lobster Roll



I used a jalapeno cheddar bread from the local Wegman's, but any soft loaf would work well here.  Only 2 things to be sure of: (1) the loaf is not too crusty on the outside and (2) it isn't presliced.  Buying the lobster precooked saves time, allowing this sandwich to come together in 5 minutes or less.





a 1 lb. cooked Maine lobster
1 slice of soft bread, 3 inches thick
2 Tbsp butter
pinch of salt
1 small scallion or a few chives, sliced thin
2-3 slices fresh heirloom tomato

Remove the lobster meat from the shell and coarsely chop.  Preheat a small nonstick pan over medium heat.

Split the slice of bread partially down the middle, leaving about an inch still connected like a hinge, forming a "mouth" to stuff the lobster into.  Spread butter over the exterior of the bread.  Griddle the bread in the nonstick skillet until golden brown on each side.  Remove and set aside.

Add the lobster meat and the rest of the butter to the pan.  Cook just until warm.  Toss with chives or scallion.  Salt to taste.

Assemble the sandwich by layering tomato slices and lobster meat inside the "mouth" of the bread.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails